IRCTC is opening tatkal tickets one day before the day of journey, for those who are traveling in emergency. But as most of the regular booking tickets are in waiting list in most of the routes, we are forced to try for tatkal tickets always, one day before the travel date. Number of people trying to book tatkal ticket at morning 8AM is so high that in some days even IRCTC.co.in servers will crash. Nothing more to say, it is very difficult to get tatkal ticket if you are not booking in a systematic way.
Tatkal Ticket booking process.
According to the new rules of IRCTC, tatkal booking is opening one day before the day of starting of the train. Booking process starts at morning 8AM. For tatkal tickets there will be some additional charges than normal ticket. I think the normal tatkal booking process is familiar to most of you. So I am not explaining it. Let us think how to improve the chance of getting a confirmed ticket. Before that there are some new rules from IRCTC, to avoid agents from booking tatkal using normal booking procedure.
New Ticket booking restrictions from IRCTC.
- Now you can book only 10 ticket per month per user ID.
- From one ID you can book only 2 tatkal or normal tickets between 8AM and 9 AM from one user ID.
- From one IP address you can book only two tickets (tatkal or normal) between morning 8AM and 9 AM. So more than one person is trying with same internet connection also, only the first two ticket can be booked, independent of how many user IDs you have. (In order to bypass this- Most of our internet connections are of dynamic IP. Once the modem is switched OFF and ON, IP will change. Again you can book two more ticket using that ID)
- Now from one browser you can login using one ID only. If you want to try from two different browser from your own computer, you need to have two different login IDs. Even if your friend and you are sharing same ID, both of you cannot login at the same time between 8AM and 9 AM.
Considering that there are so many restrictions for IRCTC, it is difficult for agents to book large number of ticket before 9AM. That is advantageous for normal ticket booking persons. Now what we have to consider is how to decrease the booking time. As within seconds tickets are getting booked, it is difficult to get confirmed ticket if you are booking slowly. Many persons are trying through internet and railway reservation counters, available tickets will be booked quickly. So each second is precious for busy routes.
Time saving tricks while booking tatkal ticket
- You have to use more than one IRCTC account and browsers to increase the chance. If you have only one account, ask your friends for help. Also according to new rules, you need to login from different browsers. You may doubt that having many logins will decrease the bandwidth that you are getting for one single browser. This is not like downloading file. If you are downloading a file, when two downloads are simultaneously given, speed will be shared. But as irctc is a heavy traffic website, some of the requests will not get enough priority. So it is always better to try with more than one account.
- IRCTC website is optimized for internet explorer. But Mozilla firefox and Google chrome are more useful from my experience. As you have addons for these browsers you can try auto fill features, to make the booking faster.
- Use auto fill addon for browsers. This is used to fill data in one second. When you are coming to the enter passenger details page, there are many details you need to enter in the page. If the number of passengers is high it will take more time. If you are using this addon and save the data previously by typing, in one second this addon will fill the data for you.
- It is always advisable to have your data with you before starting the procedure. Both starting and destination station codes, ID card details etc. Remember each second is precious.
- Login before 8AM. At least by 7.55 AM and keep your session active by clicking here and there. While entering train details for tatkal ticket, time on the site should be after 8AM. For that after 8AM only you have to click on plan my travel link. Synchronize your system time with irctc site time. Then just after your system time reaches 7.59.55 click on Plan my Travel link. Then after loading site time will be just after 8AM. This time is important as many will start only by 8.01 and all. At this time itself you can advance.
- Select a payment method that is taking less time. From some of my friends i have heard that HDFC bank internet banking is fast compared to other banks. Also do not click two times in any of the links is the payment section, it will result in online reservation error.
- IRCTC has launched mobile version of the site in the link https://www.irctc.co.in/mobile. Usually if you type this link from your desktop it will redirect to the desktop version of the site. Only from mobile, you can load the mobile version of the site. But using user agent switcher addons you can load mobile version of the site in your desktop. For detailed steps visit New tips to get confirmed tatkal ticket from IRCTC 2012
- If the train is starting from some far place which is one or two day far from your place, you have to book tatkal ticket in the day before the starting day of the train, not one day before the train reaches your place. Actually this opens a way to get ticket without much difficulty. Book for trains that are coming from far places and passing through your place in the second or third day of travel. The advantage you are going to get is - usually everybody will be trying for tatkal one day before only. As the tatkal booking of such trains starts early, there will be less people trying for tatkal in that train from your area in the correct day.
- Another one thing that you can notice about irctc ticket booking is that it is difficult to book from BSNL internet connection even if it is broadband. It is because majority of Indians are trying form BSNL internet only, so it will be slow to access irctc site in that time. If you are trying some broadband connection service of other providers like tatateleservices, airtel etc you have more chance. Same thing is applicable for outside India internet connection also. If you are accessing from outside India, it is easy to book.
Read about more such tips in,
|Tips to get tatkal ticket from railway site IRCTC|